After you have completed the enrollment process, you will be contacted by the Orchard School District Front Office to finalize and verify your enrollment. If you have any questions, please contact the Orchard School District Front Office at (408) 944-0388. Thank You!
CAASPP testing starts this month for all Orchard students in grades 3rd - 8th. Please take a look at the school newsletter section for the April newsletter focused on CAASPP and the CAASPP testing schedules for more information. During testing time, we ask that families please schedule student appointments for non-school hours. More information on CAASPP testing can be answered in the school newsletter section for April and the schedules. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Principal Quilantang at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank You.
Orchard School District Administrative Regulation AR 5117 details that in accordance with an agreement between the Governing Board and the board of another district, inter-district transfers may be permitted and issued upon the approval of both districts.
Requesting an Inter-district transfer
By January 1, Orchard School District will start accepting and processing requests for the following school year. Parents/Guardians must go to:
Orchard School District
School Front Office
921 Fox Lane
San Jose, CA 95131
between the office hours of 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Monday – Friday to request an Inter-district Transfer form.
Completion of the inter-district transfer form also includes completion of the reason for the request for the transfer. Employment (as per Allen Bill) and childcare reasons should be accompanied with supporting documentation, including childcare provider’s name and phone number. All outgoing inter-district transfer requests must include proof of residency within Orchard School District’s boundaries.
In accordance with AR 5117, an inter-district transfer may be approved or denied based upon the following:
- Enrollment availability with the district
- Insufficient documentation
- To meet the childcare needs of the student, as long as the student’s child care provider remains within district boundaries
- To meet the student’s special mental or physical health needs as certified by a physician, school psychologist or other appropriate school personnel
- When the student has a sibling attending school in the receiving district, to avoid splitting the family’s attendance
- To allow the student to complete a school year when the student’s parents/guardians have moved out of the district during that year
- To allow the student to remain with a class graduating that year from an elementary, middle, or senior high school
- When the parent/guardian provides written evidence that the family will be moving into the district in the immediate future and would like the student to start the school year in the district
- When the student will be living out of district for one year or less
- When recommended by the school attendance review board or by county child welfare, probation, or social service agenda staff in documented cases of serious home or community problems which make it inadvisable for the student to attend the school of residence
- When there is a valid interest in a particular educational program not offered in the district of residence
- To provide a change in school environment for reasons of personal and social adjustment
Priority for interdistrict attendance shall be given to a student who has been determined by staff of either the district of residence or district of proposed enrollment to be a victim of an act of bullying, as defined in Education Code 48900(r), committed by a student of the district of residence. (Education Code 46600)
Initial requests for inter-district transfers may be denied due to limited district resources, overcrowding of school facilities at the relevant grade level, or other considerations. Once a student is admitted, the district shall not deny continued attendance due to overcrowded facilities at the relevant grade level.
Timeline for Process of Inter-District Transfers
If a transfer request is for a school year that begins within 15 calendar days of the receipt of the request, the Superintendent or designee shall notify the parent/guardian of its final decision within 30 calendar days of receiving the request.
If the transfer request is for a school year that begins more than 15 days after the receipt of the request, the parent/guardian shall be notified of the final decision as soon as possible, but no later than 14 calendar days after the commencement of instruction during that school year.
For a transfer request that is denied, the Superintendent or designee must notify the parent/guardian of the appeals process. The parent/guardian has the right to appeal to the Santa Clara County Board of Education (no County Board appeal right for Allen transfers). This is indicated on the Orchard School District inter-district transfer form.
Granting of Inter-district Transfers
Once an inter-district transfer is granted, the parent/guardian agrees to the following (as listed on OSD’s inter-district transfer form):
- The parent/guardian must apply for the inter-district transfer yearly in order for continued attendance at the desired school
- The parent/guardian is expected to cooperate with school personnel
- The parent/guardian is responsible for the student’s transportation to and from school
- The parent/guardian understands that providing inaccurate or incorrect information on the inter-district transfer form is cause for the transfer to be revoked
- The parent/guardian must make sure that the student has good school attendance, behavior, and academic requirements of the school district
If you have questions about the inter-district transfer process, please contact the Orchard School District – School Front Office at (408) 944-0388.
As one of the oldest teaching institutions in California, Orchard began as a school for settlers in 1862. With over a century and a half of academic history, we continue to educate today's young minds in becoming tomorrow's leaders.
As you visit the pages on this site, we hope to share our culture of excellence and commitment through our faculty, parents and staff. And we hope you agree that Orchard continues to create an environment that nurtures personal and academic achievement one student at a time.